How to safely dispose of unwanted items and substances.


Appliances are taken at the MRSWA facility. Individuals will be charged a Freon removal fee of $19 per appliance for any appliances that are not certified as Freon-free.

Bulky Waste

Bring mattresses, furniture and other materials too large for drop-off locations, $72 per ton.


Place your corrugated and lightweight cardboard in with the rest of your recyclables.

Cell Phones & Smartphones

You may recycle cell phones with local retailers that accept these items or through the “Cell Phones for Soldiers” program. Cell Phones For Soldiers is a 501c3 non-profit charity organization for recycling cell phones or tablets. Help our troops by donating your old mobile phone. All money earned is used to buy phone cards for soldiers.

Construction Material

Construction Material is disposed of at our Transfer Station. A fee is applied to the load based on the $48.00/ton rate.

Cooking Oil (Households only, no businesses)

Please make sure that the cooking oil is not mixed with other fluids (water, petroleum products, soaps, etc). Place the cooking oil in a container with a tight-fitting lid, metal or plastic containers are preferable. Do not fill any container while the cooking oil is still hot as this could cause the container to crack or split; let the oil cool down before filling a container.

Vegetable oil that is mixed with small amounts of animal fats can be recycled as long as the amount of added animal fat has not caused the liquid to solidify. The method of collection that is being used can only handle liquids, not solids.

Please do not pour used cooking oil down sinks or other drains. Approximately 50% of all sanitary sewer overflow events are caused by used cooking oils, fats and grease clogging the sanitary sewer system. These overflow events are both costly and damaging to the environment and to public health. Use paper towels to wipe excess cooking oil from cooking pans and serving dishes prior to washing. Even these small quantities of cooking oil can accumulate over time and clog sewers and septic systems.

Used cooking oil is recycled into several valuable commodities including biodiesel, soap, cosmetics, poultry feed, and many more.


Furniture may be disposed of with your regular garbage any time of the year through our transfer station. Tipping fees do apply. You may also wish to donate items to a charity organization, some of whom will pick your items up free.

Check with your local collection program coordinator for spring and fall pick-up events. Call Christiansburg at 382-6128 or visit In Blacksburg, check for information on these special pick-ups.


This may be disposed of at one of the NRRA semi-annual events, or call your local fire department.

Household Hazardous Waste 

This event is for residents within Montgomery County only.  This is the only time MRSWA can accept household chemicals, paints, compact and fluorescent bulbs.   No electronics, batteries or paper shredding. 

MRSWA will sponsor this event twice a year, check our front page for the dates.

Prescription Drugs and Other Medications

Medications can be disposed through many options and is often sponsored by various organizations throughout the New River Valley. The following links may be used to obtain additional information about disposal options and lists participating pharmacies that will take medications back for disposal:, Say NO to (Expired, Unused, Unwanted) Drugs, How to Safely Dispose Medicine

Motor Oil, Kerosene, Hydraulic Oil, Lamp Oil, Diesel Fuel, Transmission Fluid

Bring in a closed container to our facility.


The preferred method for paint disposal is to dry it up using cat litter, mulch, sand, etc., then depose of it with your regular garbage; however, this is not a requirement for disposal. Paint cans free of paint may be recycled. Paint could also be donated to non-profit organizations, day care facilities, or a paint exchange. !--Or bring your unused paint to one of our Household Hazardous Waste events.-->

Phone Books

Phone books may be placed in with all your other household recyclables.

Propane Tanks

We accept all empty propane tanks. Or, citizens can take their "Old-Style" 20 lb propane tanks directly to HMI Welding Supply & Propane Gas at no charge for this recycling service. Old-style tanks are identified by their star-shaped valve. Compare the old valve to the new three-pointed shape.

Contact HMI Welding Supply & Propane Gas at (540) 382-6752. They are located at 2150 Cambria Street NE, Christiansburg, VA 24073


Use a plastic bottle (preferably a bottle with #2 on the bottom). Place all syringes in the container and when full, screw on the cap and then place in your garbage. Label the container "DO NOT RECYCLE, CONTAINS SYRINGES." You may also purchase special containers at your local pharmacy for this type of medical waste.


Tires of varying sizes, with and without rims, may be disposed of Wednesdays only, 8:00am to 12 Noon. Fees vary, based on the weight of the tire. For example, a load of tires is $0.20/lb, with a $4.00 minimum charge for up to 20lbs.

Woody Waste

MaterialAcceptance Fee
Woody Waste*: Clean brush, wood and pallets (no nails accepted) $63.00 per ton ($3.15 minimum up to 100 pounds)