Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) is waste that is considered to have one of the following properties: toxic; poisonous; corrosive; reactive; flammable; or combustible. Read the label on products to determine if it is a hazardous product. Words like "poison," "danger," "warning," or "caution" will alert you of the potential hazard. These products should not be disposed of in the landfill.
NRV Regional Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day
Residents served by the New River Resource Authority are invited to participate in the Regions HHW Event on Saturday, April 14, 2018 from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the Radford University Dedmon Center Parking Lot Z (Riverside).
Questions regarding the types of material accepted may be directed to your locality:
- Radford 731-3631
- Pulaski PSA 674-8720
- Giles PSA 921-2499
- Dublin 674-4798
- Blacksburg 961-1806
- Christiansburg 382-6128
- NRRA 674-1677
- MRSWA 381-2820
NO COMMERCIAL WASTE or COMMERCIAL VEHICLES will be accepted for HHW.
COMMERCIAL WASTE & COMMERCIAL VEHICLES WILL BE ACCEPTED FOR DOCUMENT SHREDDING & ELECTRONIC WASTE. NRRA WILL BE ACCEPTING PLASTIC BAGS.
This program is sponsored by The New River Resource Authority.
Monthly HHW Collection Day at MRSWA
A monthly HHW collection day is held to provide disposal of such products, on the 3rd Saturday of the month. You must pre-register by calling (540) 381-2820 and dial 0 for an attendant.
Our permanent household hazardous waste facility will accept residential HHW at 555 Authority Drive Christiansburg VA 24073. This service is provided to residents of Montgomery County, Towns of Blacksburg and Christiansburg.
3rd Saturday of each month, 9AM - Noon
Free monthly collection events take place the third Saturday of each month, beginning at 9:00 am and ending at noon for the residents of Montgomery County, Towns of Blacksburg and Christiansburg.
Preregistration Required for Monthly Collection Events
Preregistration is required to bring items to these events. This enables us to have adequate staff on hand to assist with the unloading of materials and traffic flow.
You must register no later than 24 hours prior to the event. You can register by calling (540) 381-2820 and dial 0 for an attendant. With this pre-registration process, we hope to reduce your wait to under 1 minute.
No commercial hazardous materials are allowed. For information about service options for commercial businesses, please call MRSWA at (540) 381-2820 and dial 0 for an attendant.
Acceptable Items at Monthly Collection Events
The following items are accepted at monthly collection events, with limitations of 75 pounds of solids and 5 gallons of liquids:
- Drain cleaners
- Oven cleaners
- Pool chemicals
- Toilet cleaners
- Tub / tile / shower cleaners
- Wood and metal cleaners / polishes
- Aerosol cans
Workshop / Painting Supplies
- Adhesives and glue
- Fixatives and other solvents
- Furniture strippers
- Oil or enamel-based paint
- Latex paint
- Paint strippers and removers
- Paint thinners and turpentine
- Photographic chemicals
- Stains and finishes
- Ant poisons
- Cockroach poisons
- Flea repellants
- Household insecticides
- Moth repellants
- Mouse and rat poisons
Outdoor Lawn & Gardens
- Driveway Sealer
- Weed killers
- Wood preservatives & fungicides
- Air-conditioning refrigerants
- Automotive batteries
- Carburetor and fuel injector cleaners
- Fuel additives
- Gasoline / diesel fuel
- Motor oil
- Starting fluids
- Transmission and brake fluid
- Alkaline / Zinc Carbon Batteries
- Rechargeable Lithium Ion (Li-ion) batteries
- Rechargeable Nickel Cadmium (Ni-Cd) batteries
- Rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-MH) batteries
- Rechargeable, small-sealed lead acid batteries
- Lead acid automobile batteries
Other Flammable Products
- Aerosol cans
- Gas / oil mixtures
- Home-heating oil
- Lighter fluid
- Nail polish removers
- Propane tanks/cylinders (1 to 20 lbs)
- Light bulbs - Fluorescent and incandescent
- Toner bottles and cartridges
- Pool / spa chemicals
- Metallic mercury
- Mercury vapor lamps
- Mercury-containing thermostats
- Mercury thermometers
The following materials are not accepted at MRSWA residential HHW events:
- Asbestos material – Contact us for disposal assistance
- Biologically active or infectious material
- Explosive material (including ammunition) - Contact the Police or Sheriff's Department for information
- LPG/propane gas tanks larger than 20 lbs (20 lbs = gas grill sized LPG tank)
- Other large commercial compressed gas cylinders (ie oxygen, nitrogen, CO2). Contact the local compressed gas supply company for tank return information.
- Radioactive material
- Prescription drug medications. Check DisposeMyMeds.org