Disposal Guide

How to safely dispose of unwanted items and substances.


Antifreeze can be dropped off at the MRSWA buyback area during the hours of operation. Deliver in closed containers, no fee.


Appliances are taken at the MRSWA facility. Individuals will be charged a Freon removal fee of $15 per appliance for any appliances that are not certified as Freon-free.


Batteries will be accepted at the MRSWA buyback area during the hours of operation. The fee is waived for Montgomery County residents who present a valid driver’s license or utility bill to verify their residency. Business Accounts will be charged the following disposal fees:

Battery Type Acceptance Fee for Businesses
Alkaline $0.79/lb
Nickel-Cadmium (Ni-Cd) $1.40/lb
Lithium $4.75/lb
Lead Acid (including car batteries) $0.30/lb
Sealed Lead-Acid and Gel Cell $0.30/lb

Alkaline Batteries are your typical household use batteries. These are the AA and AAA, the 9Volt, and also the C and D batteries that we sometimes use. These batteries were not designed to meet the huge demand of the electronic devices that we use today. If you use a lot of these electronic devices, it will cost you less to use rechargeable or NiMH or Lithium batteries instead.

Nickel Cadmium (Ni-Cd) batteries were commonly used in laptop computers and was the standard technology for years, but today they are out of date and new laptops don't use them anymore.  NiCd batteries use Cadmium, a highly toxic heavy metal that can damage the environment if not disposed of properly. For most electronic devices it is better to use Lithium batteries.

Bulky Waste

Bring mattresses, furniture and other materials too large for drop-off locations, $54 per ton.

Car Batteries (Lead-Acid)

Car batteries and other lead-acid batteries are recycled at our facility.

Car Battery Type Acceptance Fee
Standard $0.30/lb
Sealed and Gel Cell $0.30/lb

Many businesses that sell batteries will take your old battery back when you purchase a new one, sometimes incurring a small disposal fee.


Place your corrugated and lightweight cardboard in with the rest of your recyclables.

Cell Phones & Smartphones

There is no fee to recycle cell phones. You may also recycle cell phones through the "Cell Phones For Soldiers" program. Visit their web site to print your prepaid label to send cell phones that will be recycled. All money earned will be used to buy phone cards for soldiers.

Cleaning Products

Please register for one of our Household Hazardous Waste events and bring your cleaning products for disposal then.

Computers and Electronics

The fee is waived for Montgomery County residents who present a valid driver’s license or utility bill to verify their residency. You may also bring your computers, printers and similar items to our Household Hazardous Waste events.

Construction Material

Construction Material is disposed of at our Transfer Station. A fee is applied to the load based on the $54.00/ton rate.

Cooking Oil

Montgomery Regional Solid Waste Authority (MRSWA) now accepts used vegetable-based cooking oil from county and town residents for recycling. Any type of liquid vegetable oil (i.e., peanut, corn, canola, olive, etc) is accepted. Used cooking oil may be brought to the MRSWA Buyback area and given to the buyback attendant. Please call (540) 381-2820 x305 for information.

Please make sure that the cooking oil is not mixed with other fluids (water, petroleum products, soaps, etc). Place the cooking oil in a container with a tight-fitting lid, metal or plastic containers are preferable. Do not fill any container while the cooking oil is still hot as this could cause the container to crack or split; let the oil cool down before filling a container.

Vegetable oil that is mixed with small amounts of animal fats can be recycled as long as the amount of added animal fat has not caused the liquid to solidify. The method of collection that is being used can only handle liquids, not solids.

Please do not pour used cooking oil down sinks or other drains. Approximately 50% of all sanitary sewer overflow events are caused by used cooking oils, fats and grease clogging the sanitary sewer system. These overflow events are both costly and damaging to the environment and to public health. Use paper towels to wipe excess cooking oil from cooking pans and serving dishes prior to washing. Even these small quantities of cooking oil can accumulate over time and clog sewers and septic systems.

Used cooking oil is recycled into several valuable commodities including biodiesel, soap, cosmetics, poultry feed, and many more.

Fluorescent Tubes & Ballasts

Fluorescent Tubes & Ballasts should be disposed of through our Household Hazardous Waste Program. The fee is waived for Montgomery County residents who present a valid driver’s license or utility bill to verify their residency.

For business accounts the following fees apply:

Item Acceptance Fee
Fluorescent Tubes $0.29/ft, $0.29 minimum
Ballasts $0.20/lb - $1.35/lb


Furniture may be disposed of with your regular garbage any time of the year through our transfer station. Tipping fees do apply. You may also wish to donate items to a charity organization, some of whom will pick your items up free.

Check with your local collection program coordinator for spring and fall pick-up events. Call Christiansburg at 382-6128 or visit Christiansburg.org. In Blacksburg, check Blacksburg.gov for information on these special pick-ups.

Gas and Kerosene

We do not take gasoline for recycling or disposal, but we do take kerosene. Gasoline, kerosene, heating oil and lighter fluid can be brought to our Household Hazardous Waste events. that are held monthly for the residents of the NRV.

Hydraulic Oil, Lamp Oil, Diesel Fuel

Bring the oil in a closed container to our facility.

Prescription Drugs and Other Medications

Medications may be disposed of through a national drug take back program that is often sponsored by various organizations throughout the New River Valley. The following link may be used to obtain additional information about disposal options and lists participating pharmacies that will take medications back for disposal: DisposeMyMeds.org


Thermostats, mercury switches, and mercury thermometers are accepted at our Household Hazardous Waste events.

Motor Oil

Motor oil may be disposed of at MRSWA. We have a collection tank on the premises for residential motor oil collection. Deliver in a closed container. There is no fee.


The preferred method for paint disposal is to dry it up using cat litter, mulch, sand, etc., then depose of it with your regular garbage; however, this is not a requirement for disposal. Paint cans free of paint may be recycled. Paint could also be donated to non-profit organizations, day care facilities, or a paint exchange. Or bring your unused paint to one of our Household Hazardous Waste events.


Please register for one of our Household Hazardous Waste events and bring your poisons, repellants, weed killers, herbicides, and other pesticides for disposal then.

Phone Books

Phone books may be placed in with all your other household recyclables.

Printer Cartridges

Printer Cartridges may be recycled through our Universal Waste Program at no fee.

Propane Tanks

We accept all empty propane tanks. Or, citizens can take their "Old-Style" 20 lb propane tanks directly to HMI Welding Supply & Propane Gas at no charge for this recycling service. Old-style tanks are identified by their star-shaped valve. Compare the old valve to the new three-pointed shape.

Contact HMI Welding Supply & Propane Gas at (540) 382-6752. They are located at 2150 Cambria Street NE, Christiansburg, VA 24073


Use a plastic bottle (preferably a bottle with #2 on the bottom). Place all syringes in the container and when full, screw on the cap and then place in your garbage. Label the container "DO NOT RECYCLE, CONTAINS SYRINGES." You may also purchase special containers at your local pharmacy for this type of medical waste.


Tires of varying sizes, with and without rims, may be disposed of Wednesdays only, 8:00am to 12 Noon. Fees vary, based on the weight of the tire. For example, a load of tires is $0.13/lb, with a $2.60 minimum charge for up to 20lbs.

Transmission Fluid

Bring transmission fluid in a closed container to our facility.

Woody Waste

Material Acceptance Fee
Woody Waste*: Clean brush, wood and pallets $44.50 per ton ($2.20 minimum up to 100 pounds)

* Woody waste is classified as trees and limbs less than six inches in diamemter as well as pallets. These items are processed through our on-site wood mulching facility and sold back to the public.