She's standing by to answer your questions by email. Click below and ask Mrs. Wa about single-stream recycling, what's acceptable, or how to dispose of hazardous household waste.

Ask Mrs. Wa


How Do I Recycle...?

How Do I Get Rid Of...?

Employee of the Quarter

Paul Jones, MRSWA Employee of the Quarter

Paul Jones,
Sorting Technician
Recycling Department

What MRSWA Does for You

The Montgomery Regional Solid Waste Authority (MRSWA) is leading the way in the solid waste management field. We are dedicated to helping our region flourish and our education programs promote these ideas to businesses, schools and the general public. We are determined to make recycling and other environmental practices habitual and have several programs in place to reach our goals in "Protecting Tomorrow's Environment Today."

The MRSWA provides the Montgomery County Region with the assurance of a fully integrated solid waste management plan; which includes closed landfill management, education, a transfer station, and recycling. The closed landfill property is carefully monitored and regulated to ensure safety. A public education department is dedicated to conserving resources and saving landfill space through strong recycling programs for residents, businesses, and schools.

Single Stream Recycling is Coming to MRSWA

Beginning July 1, 2015, single stream recycling will be the preferred method of recycling in the New River Valley. So what is single stream recycling? Single stream recycling means that you no longer need to sort your recyclables. All containers can be placed with mixed paper so you only need one collection container. Bottles, jugs, cans and jars will be mixed with all paper even cardboard. Montgomery Regional Solid Waste Authority MRSWA will be accepting recyclable material in this manner to simplify recycling for all participants.

By making this improvement, MRSWA's goal is to make recycling easier for the public, businesses and industrial facilities. They anticipate an increase in participation thus improving the area's overall recycling rate.

What's New

Residential Household Hazardous Waste Program

MRSWA now has a permanent household hazardous waste (HHW) facility that will accept residential HHW monthly on the 3rd Saturday of the month.

Preregistration Required for All Monthly Collection Events

You can register by calling (540) 381-2820 x300.

MRSWA is located at 555 Authority Drive Christiansburg VA 24073. This service is provided to residents of Montgomery County, Towns of Blacksburg and Christiansburg. Details

Residents' Electronic Waste Accepted at No Charge

We now accept electronic waste at no charge from residents of Montgomery County. This includes bulbs, batteries and electronic devices. All Montgomery County residents must show proof of residency by providing a driver's license or utility bill.

Solid Waste and Disposal Fees

The current solid waste and refuse disposal fees are posted on our Services & Fees page.

Hours of Operation

Transfer Station


Tires (Go to Scale House for directions)

Recycling Processing Facility and Administrative Offices

Look for the MRSWA Recycle Van around town.

MRSWA     555 Authority Drive     Christiansburg, VA 24073      (540) 381-2820